Whirlwind Heat - Do Rabbits Wonder? album
Engineer – Bill Racine, Jack White (2), Whirlwind Heat. Engineer – Dave Fridmann (tracks: 1 to 3, 5 to 13). Engineer – Brendan Benson. Mastered By – Mike Marsh. Photography – Winston Maxwell. Producer – Jack White (2). Songwriter – Whirlwind Heat. Do Rabbits Wonder? (LP, Album). V2, Third Man Records. XLLP 167. Whirlwind Heat.
For all the sludge and fuzz on the album, Do Rabbits Wonder never becomes muddy; the grit and gristle of Whirlwind Heat's abrasive repertoire of sounds remains clearly defined even at its most crazed. While this nervy, bludgeoning album would probably be on a much smaller label were it not for White's involvement with the band, Do Rabbits Wonder's major-label-level exposure is almost as refreshing as its noisy weirdness.
Instead, Heat follows thoughtlessly in the footsteps of their betters on the dancepunk gravy train, piecing together similar fragments left in the ruinous wake of the post-punk/no wave aftermath. Erratic, bass-dominated rock with an ear toward shaking your ass (sometimes), punctuated with a little electronic dissonance to complete the outfit- everything's in its proper place, but somehow it goes horribly awry. And that's no mean feat, either, since the carefully hidden strength of Whirlwind Heat is that they possess some of the filthiest, sleaziest basslines in town. When Brad Holland uses his percussive powers for good (instead of making his kickdrum the object of random violence) and falls in sync with the amped-up raunch of Steve Damstra's fuzz bass, the two can lay down quite an onslaught. Damstra's bass even pulls double-duty, carrying what little melody exists in the album in the absence of guitars.
Whirlwind Heat : Do Rabbits Wonder? Indie Rock, USA (2003 - V2 Music, Third Man Records) Learn more. Indie Rock - USA Learn more.
Do Rabbits Wonder? Studio album by Whirlwind Heat. Do Rabbits Wonder? is the first full-length album released by Whirlwind Heat, recorded and produced by Jack White of The White Stripes as the debut album of his imprint label on V2 Records, Third Man Records.
Tracklist Hide Credits
Mixed By – Jim Diamond
- Recorded At – Grand Studios, Detroit MI
- Mixed At – Tarbox Road Studios
- Mastered At – The Exchange
- Pressed By – United Record Pressing
- Licensed To – Third Man Records, LLC
- Published By – WHHQ Music
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Whirlwind Heat
- Copyright (c) – Whirlwind Heat
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Third Man Records, LLC
- Copyright (c) – Third Man Records, LLC
- Bass – Steve Damstra
- Drums – Brad Holland
- Engineer – Brendan Benson
- Engineer [Assistant] – Bill Racine, Jack White , Whirlwind Heat
- Engineer [Mixing] – Dave Fridmann (tracks: 1 to 3, 5 to 13)
- Mastered By – Mike Marsh
- Photography By – Winston Maxwell
- Photography By [Inner Bag] – Terry Richardson
- Producer – Jack White
- Songwriter – Whirlwind Heat
- Vocals, Synthesizer – David Swanson
Notes2014 Record Store Day reissue on 12 different colors of vinyl:
(P) & (C) 2013 Whirlwind Heat, Released under exclusive license to Third Man Records, LLC. 623 7th Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37203.
All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized duplication prohibited. www.thirdmanrecords.com
Pressing credits taken from runout matrix.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 8 58936 00367 7
- Matrix / Runout (Side A [Hand Etched]): ⓤ TMR-205 A FREE LANCE X̶L̶L̶P̶-̶1̶6̶7̶-̶A̶ 2 MIKE'S THE EXCHANGE
- Matrix / Runout (Side B [Hand Etched]): X̶L̶L̶P̶-̶1̶6̶7̶ -B2 TMR-205 B WHHQ ⓤ MIKE'S THE EXCHANGE
- Rights Society: BMI
|XLCD 167||Whirlwind Heat||Do Rabbits Wonder? (CD, Album)||XL Recordings||XLCD 167||UK||2003|
|63881-27152-1||Whirlwind Heat||Do Rabbits Wonder? (LP, Album)||V2, Third Man Records||63881-27152-1||US||2003|
|XLLP 167||Whirlwind Heat||Do Rabbits Wonder? (LP, Album)||XL Recordings||XLLP 167||UK||2003|
|V2CP-169||Whirlwind Heat||Do Rabbits Wonder? (CD, Album, Promo)||V2||V2CP-169||Japan||2003|
|TMR205||Whirlwind Heat||Do Rabbits Wonder? (LP, Album, RE, Yel)||Third Man Records||TMR205||US||2014|