Flat Earth Society , Peter Vermeersch - S.S. Belgenland album
Performer – Flat Earth Society (2). Piano, Keyboards – Peter Vandenberghe. Tenor Saxophone – Michel Mast. Trombone – Marc Meeuwissen, Peter Delannoye. Trumpet – Bart Maris, Thomas Mayade. Tuba – Berlinde Deman. Vibraphone – Wim Segers. Original footage made by the Olsen family on their World Cruise with the . Belgenland 1927 - 1928. Peter Vermeersch used the footage to make his own movie. He also composed the music.
Peter Vermeersch (born 1959 in Waregem) is a Belgian composer, clarinet player and producer. He is a main character in several Belgian bands such as X-Legged Sally, A Group and the Flat Earth Society. His compositions, balancing between classical, jazz and pop music, are often commissioned for or used by modern dance companies. As a producer he helped to form the first album of Belgium's most prominent indie band dEUS. As such, he is one of the godfathers of the Belgian music scene.
The Flat Earth Society (FES) is a Belgian big band ensemble founded and led by Peter Vermeersch. They mix the rich Belgian brass band (HaFaBra) tradition with characteristic topsy-turvy creativity. Their earliest gig took place in 1997, when they performed a composition by Peter Vermeersch to accompany a circus act by De Circusplaneet during the Oorsmeer festival. They also performed on the song Porqué te Vas by A Group, Peter Vermeersch' avant-garde pop band.
The most unreliable music since 1999.
Belgium's prominent musician and composer Peter Vermeersch formed Flat Earth Society in 1998 after a prolific career with bands like the revered X-legged Sally and having collaborated with a wide array of international musicians and dwellers of the Belgium's jazz scene. The core of this colossal army of jazz troopers is formed by 14 exceptional musicians, with Vermeersch navigating between clarinet and saxophone duties. Flat Earth Society's approach to jazz is as defying and over the top as the theory in which their name is based on. While some passages follow a straight-up sheet music standard, the whimsical combo soon finds the way to derail the tune and break free from the norm, introducing cartoonish beats, thunderous electric guitars, almighty albeit cherubic vocals and straight up instrument abuse courtesy of Vermeersch himself.
Led by veteran composer and clarinetist Peter Vermeersch, Flat Earth Society are well-versed in a broad array of big band jazz vocabularies, and their music is an unruly confluence of Carl Stalling's "Merrie Melodies", Henry Mancini's cosmopolitan swank, and Sun Ra's cosmic slop- all performed with the whiplash attention span of John Zorn's Naked City.
1) Flat Earth Society was founded in 1998, when no-nonsense artist, former architect, clarinettist, saxophonist, keyboard player, composer and producer Peter Vermeersch, wanted to explore new horizons after having convinced music lovers all over the word with Maximalist! and the cult legend band X-legged Sally.
- Copyright (c) – Peter Vermeersch
- Alto Saxophone, Glockenspiel – Benjamin Boutreur
- Baritone Saxophone, Flute – Bruno Vansina
- Clarinet – Marti Melià
- Double Bass – Kristof Roseeuw
- Drums – Teun Verbruggen
- Edited By, Mixed By – Peter Vermeersch
- Engineer – Raf De Clercq
- Film Director, Composed By – Peter Vermeersch
- Guitar – Pierre Vervloesem
- Mixed By, Mastered By – Pierre Vervloesem
- Performer – Flat Earth Society
- Piano, Keyboards – Peter Vandenberghe
- Tenor Saxophone – Michel Mast
- Trombone – Marc Meeuwissen, Peter Delannoye
- Trumpet – Bart Maris, Thomas Mayade
- Tuba – Berlinde Deman
- Vibraphone – Wim Segers
NotesOriginal footage made by the Olsen family on their World Cruise with the S.S. Belgenland 1927 - 1928.
Peter Vermeersch used the footage to make his own movie. He also composed the music.