Coltrane - "Live" At The Village Vanguard 11-02-1961 album
Tenor Saxophone – John Coltrane. Recorded at "Village Vanguard" NYC, November 2, 1961. Digital transferred from the original analog 1960's source material. Rights Society: JASRAC.
Coltrane "Live" at the Village Vanguard is the tenth album by jazz musician John Coltrane and his first live album, released in 1962 on Impulse Records, catalogue A-10. It is the first album to feature the members of the classic quartet of himself with McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Garrison, and Elvin Jones. In contrast to his previous album for Impulse!, this one generated much turmoil among both critics and audience alike with its challenging music.
Parties wishing to hear the run in its entirety are encouraged to check out the multi-disc Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings (1997) as there are multiple takes of the same songs. This allows even the most unsophisticated jazz consumer the opportunity to note the difference in the various versions, while contrasting the player's widely diverse performance styles.
Heavyweight Champion: Complete Atlantic Recordings. Impressions (Live At The Village Vanguard, New York/1961). Greensleeves (Live At The VIllage Vanguard/November 3,1961).
John Coltrane releases. Live" At The Village Vanguard 11-02-1961. Release title: John Coltrane - "Live" At The Village Vanguard 11-02-1961 .
Album · 1961 · 5 Songs. Chasin' the Trane (Live at the Village Vanguard, New York, 1961). 4. India (Live at the Village Vanguard, New York, 1961).
Get the Tempo of the tracks from Live At The Village Vanguard (1991) by John Coltrane. This album has an average beat per minute of 112 BPM (slowest/fastest tempos: 104/122 BPM). Tracklist Live at the Village Vanguard.
|1-1||Chasin' Another Trane||15:38|
|1-2||Softly As In A Morning Sunrise||6:34|
|1-3||Chasin' The Trane||16:11|
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – MCA Records, Inc.
- Copyright (c) – GRP Records, Inc.
- Copyright (c) – MCA Records, Inc.
- Manufactured By – MCA Victor, Inc.
- Distributed By – MCA Victor, Inc.
- Recorded At – Village Vanguard
- Alto Saxophone – Eric Dolphy (tracks: 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-4)
- Bass – Jimmy Garrison (tracks: 1-3, 2-1, 2-4), Reggie Workman (tracks: 1-1, 1-2, 2-1 to 2-3)
- Contrabassoon – Garvin Bushell (tracks: 2-2)
- Drums – Elvin Jones (tracks: 1-3, 2-1 to 2-4), Roy Haynes (tracks: 1-1)
- Engineer – Rudy Van Gelder
- Oboe – Garvin Bushell (tracks: 2-1)
- Oud – Ahmed Abdul-Malik (tracks: 2-1)
- Piano – McCoy Tyner (tracks: 1-2, 2-1 to 2-4)
- Producer – Bob Thiele
- Tenor Saxophone – John Coltrane
NotesRecorded at "Village Vanguard" NYC, November 2, 1961.
Digital transferred from the original analog 1960's source material.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Rights Society: JASRAC
|A-10-S, A-10||Coltrane*||"Live" At The Village Vanguard (LP, Album, Gat)||Impulse!, Impulse!||A-10-S, A-10||US||1962|
|9027-10||Coltrane*||"Live" At The Village Vanguard (LP, Album, Gat)||ABC Impulse!||9027-10||Canada||Unknown|
|EJC55547||John Coltrane||Coltrane "Live" At The Village Vanguard (CD, Album)||Essential Jazz Classics||EJC55547||Europe||2012|
|A-10||Coltrane*||"Live" At The Village Vanguard (LP, Album, Mono, Gat)||Sparton Impulse! Records, Impulse!||A-10||Canada||1962|
|0602517486256, AS-10||Coltrane*||"Live" At The Village Vanguard (CD, Album, RE, RM, Dig)||Impulse!, Impulse!||0602517486256, AS-10||Europe||2007|